We were thrilled to host our second Writing for Animals alumni open mic yesterday, featuring writers from several W4A classes in 2021, including our self-paced version.
It was an absolutely fabulous reading, featuring beautiful writing about animals from cats to rhinos to pythons to falcons to kingfishers to mustangs to coyotes (and more!), in genres ranging from short stories to essays to poetry to YA to middle grade. And in attendance were not only humans but cats, dogs, and a very enthusiastic rooster.
We wanted to highlight a few of our W4A alumni’s accomplishments — and we will continue to bring you more news from alumni as their animal writing makes its way into the world.
For now, our congratulations to these authors whose work is already out in the world, or forthcoming soon …
- Gregory Tague has a number of essays and reviews out this year, including …
- Review: Baptiste Morizot, On the Animal Trail (Polity P. 2021), in Leonardo Reviews, December 2021.
- Review: Chris Herzfeld, Wattana: An Orangutan in Paris (U. Chicago P. 2016), in Leonardo Reviews, November 2021.
- Review: Eva Meijer. Bird Cottage (Pushkin Press 2021, paperback), in Leonardo Reviews, September 2021.
- Review: Barbara J. King. Animals’ Best Friends (U. Chicago P. 2021), in Leonardo Reviews, August 2021.
- Essay: “An Ape Ethic and the Question of Personhood,” in the September 2021 Montreal Review.
- Finally, keep an eye out for Gregory’s book The Vegan Evolution: Transforming Diets and Agriculture, forthcoming from the Routledge Studies in Food, Society and the Environment in May of 2022.
Also: Tara Coyote‘s book, Grace, Grit & Gratitude: A Cancer Thriver’s Journey from Hospice to Full Recovery with the Healing Power of Horses, was published this year — learn more about the book, and Tara’s Wild Horse Sanctuary, here.
In other recent news … Katy Gurin recently recorded a reading about Paleozoic-era animals with piano accompaniment. You can find more of her poetry on her website.
And, stay tuned for these forthcoming publications …
- Marina Richie’s book Halcyon Journey: In Search of the Belted Kingfisher is forthcoming from Oregon State University Press in May of 2022.
- S. Portico Bowman has two books forthcoming.
- Nona Schrader’s YA novel Aqua is forthcoming from All Things Matter Press.
- Ingrid Taylor’s short story “Liftoff” will appear in Among Animals 3 in April of 2022.
Finally, join our mailing list to stay up-to-date on new alumni work, and learn about eco-literature from around the world at EcoLit Books, which posts reviews of environmental and animal literature, as well as opportunities for writers (you can subscribe here).