The other finalists include:
- Short Nights of the Shadow Catcher by Timothy Egan (HMH)
- Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain (HarperCollins)
- The Presidents Club by Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy (Simon & Schuster)
- Devil in the Grove by Gilbert King (HarperCollins)
- The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller (HarperCollins)
The Chautauqua Prize is a national award that celebrates a book of fiction or literary nonfiction that provides a richly rewarding reading experience and honors the author for a significant contribution to the literary arts. In 2013, 125 books from 67 publishers were nominated for consideration. Ashland Creek Press is the only small press among the finalists.
In The Names of Things, an anthropologist left with many questions following the death of his wife returns to Africa to retrace steps he took with her years ago while living with camel-herding nomads. Chautauqua award readers called the book “compelling,” “marvelous” and “extremely satisfying.”
The winner will be announced in a few weeks.
We’ve got fingers crossed!